Search Results

Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Perfect Lemon Sugar Cookies-Finally!


I say "finally" as if I've been trying for years to make lemon sugar cookies, but let's face it, it's really been like a 9 month journey.  I've a had a few trials and errors in my search for chewy lemon sugar cookies, but I think this is it.

I found a recipe via Crepes of Wrath, by no more than a simple web search.  I told you I was terrible at searching the web.  Actually, now that I look at the website again, apparently the recipe was just posted on Monday so I guess that's why I hadn't found one.

Anyway, these are fabulous - or so I'm told.  Ironically, I've had an awful cold for the past week and can't taste a thing.  I baked anyway and took the results into work (as always).  They got great reviews!  I can at least tell you that the texture is perfect for a sugar cookie - soft, chewy, little bit of crunch from the sugar crust, and they stayed soft.

My co-worker/fellow cookie snob requested the recipe saying that they were delightfully lemon, not overpowering and slightly addictive.  She requested the recipe so that can't be a bad sign.

The Recipe
(copied from the Crepes of Wrath blog) and I followed the recipe almost exactly - I just didn't have raw sugar.

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup granulated or raw sugar for rolling cookies

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or tin foil and spray lightly with Pam.

2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

3. Rub together the zest and granulated sugar until the sugar is a pale yellow color. This helps to infuse all of the oils in the zest into the sugar and gives your cookies an even more lemony flavor. Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy (about 3-5 minutes).

4. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, and lemon extract.

5. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.

6. Roll rounded tablespoons of dough into balls, and roll in sugar. Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.

7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly golden and set.

8. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks. As soon as the cookies have cooled, store them in an airtight container to keep them nice and soft. Makes around 20 cookies.



Mmmmuch love!  Renee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

ShareThis