Search Results

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Red Velvet Gooey Cookies

Let's start with the image that started it all:

Photo credit: Peace of Cake
(her photo is better than all of mine)

When I stumbled on this photo, I knew that I would be making a stop at the grocery store on the way home from work the next day.

I've been looking for a good red velvet cookie recipe and just haven't been satisfied - to the point where I didn't even post about the other ones I've tried, but the search is over.


These are easy, soft, sturdy, and most importantly....D-licious!
(7 people in my office - myself included - finished off the entire tin by 3:00 PM)
They just melt in your mouth.


Recipe
(wait 'til you see how easy this is)

1 brick (8-ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
1 egg
1 t. Vanilla
1 (18-ounce) box red velvet cake mix
Powdered sugar, for rolling/dusting


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth.

3. Beat in egg, then the vanilla.

4. Beat in the cake mix.

5. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up.

6. Roll batter into tablespoon-sized balls and then roll them in powdered sugar.

7. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey." Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.



This is going on my "favorites" list!


Sorry about my lack-luster photos, just look at the first one, that's all you need.

UPDATE: Someone in my office made these with carrot cake mix and they were just as tasty! I'm going to try lemon at some point too. Oh, and chocolate with mini chocolate chips...or chocolate with mint chips...or...

3 comments:

  1. Oh man these look amazing. I will have to try them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting this recipe! I am NOT a baker, but I made these and I am so amazed by how well they came out! Mine are not nearly as pretty as yours or Peace of Cake's, but my tummy loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look, and sound, amazing! Red velvet cake is a favorite in our house so I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

ShareThis